What is Atorvastatin 20 mg ?
Atorvastatin 20 mg is available in tablet form. It is a prescription medication. Lipitor is its brand-name. Atorvastatin 20 mg improves cholesterol levels and decrease your risk for heart attack and stroke. It is taken together with diet, weight loss and exercise. It belongs to medication group called statins.It reduceses the bad cholesterol and increases the good cholesterol in the blood. This lower down the risk of heart attack.
Uses of Atorvastatin 20 mg ;
- Atorvastatin 20 mg improves cholesterol levels in patients with different types of cholesterol problems.
- It is used with weight loss, diet and exercise.
- Atorvastatin 20 mg prevents development of cholesterol in arteries. Blood flow to your brain and heartis blocked by Clogged arteries
- It may be taken as part of a combination therapy, It means that you may need to take with other medications.
Atorvastatin 20 mg is only used to for treatment but you should also follow a healthy diet with regular exercise and moderation of alcohol.You must try to avoid food that are high in fat.
Side effects of Atorvastatin 20 mg
Some common side effects are
These side effects are normal and it may disappear after some time,once your body gets immune to this medication but consult your doctor if you notice this effects constantly.Stopping this medication suddenly may increase your cholesterol level that may make your condition critical and may increase the risk of heart disease or stroke.
Important information before taking this medication
Avoid taking Atorvastatin 20 mg if you have previous medical condition such as liver disease.
Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should not take this medication as it may harm the unborn baby.
Patients with other medical condition like diabetes should regularly check your sugar level while taking this medication as it may increase the sugar level in blood. Make sure you check your liver condition before you start your treatment
Atorvastatin 20 mg (Lipitor)
Chemical formula – C33H35 FN2O5
Drug class - HMG-CoA Reductase inhibitors(statins)
Trade name - Lipitor
Used to control abnormal lipid levels in blood that is dyslipidemia.(hyperlipidemia and hypercholesterolemia).
Statins are first line of treatment for cardiovascular disease.( prevention of heart attack)
- More potent than other statins
- Highest LDL-CH lowering efficacy.
- Half life is more than other statins
- Prevent cardio vascular disease.
- Joint pain
- Loose stools
- Muscle pain
- Head ache, nausea
- Bowel upset
- The drug is metabolized in liver , bio availability is 12%., excretion is through bile , half life is 12 to 14 hours.
10 to 40 mg daily dose maximum dose is 80 mg
Common used dose is 10 mg.